Saturday, February 11, 2012

Changes

There has been a lot going on in my life over the past week with both school and life.

I am very excited to announce my new internship with the Wake County Public School System in the Leaders4Wake program! For the next few months, I will be working with the Office of School Innovation to research new kinds of schools that could be implemented into WCPSS. Innovation is one of my main goals within my future classroom, so I know that this will be a very productive way to learn new systems and ways to go about teaching in a way that will be exciting for myself and for my students. The office is fairly new to Wake County and this internship program is being done for the first time, so I am able to have some flexibility to focus on my passions while still helping out the office. My final project is not finalized yet, but I am considering making some components of a proposal for a new kind of school. The internship also offers me the opportunity to talk to many leaders of the school system and learn about how it runs from the inside out. Look out for my experiences in future blog posts!

As for my personal life, having this internship on top of full-time graduate school has finally convinced me to rent an apartment closer to my school in order to cut off my commute time and save gas. I looked up places on Craigslist to sublet just throughout my internship duration. There were only two places in my price range around the area near my school. The first one I e-mailed did not respond, so I was left with only one selection. I went to the apartment, decided it was a good fit, and went home to tell my parents all the details. At this point, my mother started talking about where she used to live in Raleigh. As it turned out… I was moving into the SAME apartment she occupied in 1972! I am so excited to re-live my mom’s college days and make good memories of my own in a place she loved so much.

Now I have to get back to the schoolwork that I have gotten a little behind on with all of these great changes. See you all in my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment